Iodine is essential, but your body cannot make it. So, it must come from your diet.
- Iodine is required for thyroid hormones and bone health.
- Deficiency can cause infertility and may increase the risk of thyroid, prostate, breast and ovarian cancer.
- Iodine deficiency during pregnancy can cause high blood pressure for the mother and mental retardation for the baby because iodine is essential for development of the central nervous system. In fact, iodine deficiency is thought to be the most common preventable cause of mental retardation.
- Iodine is also used for treating fibrocystic breast disease, breast cancer, eye disease, diabetes, heart disease and stroke.
- In addition, potassium iodine can be used during severe radiation exposure to protect the thyroid from absorbing radioactive iodine.
- Iodine applied to the skin will treat diabetic ulcers and kill germs, fungus and bacteria, which is why iodine is also used for water purification.
- Iodine has been successfully used to cure Malaria.
Forms of Iodine
There are at least three different forms of iodine supplements. I’ve recently learned about nascent iodine, also called mon-atomic iodine. It is the form of iodine most like that found in the human thyroid gland. It is produced by subjecting iodine to an electro-magnetic field and it carries that charge into the body where it gradually loses its energy over 2 to 3 hours. During this time the body recognizes this atom as the same form of iodine produced in the thyroid to make the thyroid hormones.
It was the famous psychic Edgar Cayce, who suggested iodine for all sorts of thyroid problems. He advised it would be necessary to electrically charge the iodine to change it into its “atomic” form that the body can most fully recognize and assimilate. Atomic iodine supports the thyroid without toxic buildup.